Sliding windows, sometimes called gliding windows, have become a favorite among Michigan homeowners. This is due in no small part to their sleek design and functionality.
However, there may come a time when your sliding windows face problems related to age, wear or damage. At that point, you’ll need to decide whether you need to invest in sliding window repair or replacement.
In this blog post, C&L Ward’s window repair and replacement specialists in Davison, MI, will help you understand whether repair or replacement is the best option for your home.
How to repair a sliding window
Some problems can be repaired easily and at minimal cost. The easiest fixes for common gliding window problems include:
- Clean the Tracks: Over time, dust and debris can build up in the roller tracks which enable your windows to glide open and closed, and cause them to stick. Cleaning the tracks can often resolve this issue.
- Lubricate the Rollers: If your sliding windows are making noise, this may be down to dry or worn-out rollers. Using a light oil or lubricant can resolve the problem.
- Replace Damaged Parts: In some cases, the sashes or the track on your sliding windows may need replacing. This is where a professional sliding window repair contractor in Michigan, like C&L Ward, can help you.
When should I replace my sliding windows?
While repairs can often fix minor issues, there are several situations where it might be best to invest in sliding window replacement.
The below issues may indicate it’s time for a window upgrade:
- Significant Damage or Structural Issues: If your sliding window frame or glass is significantly damaged or warped, replacement may be the more efficient option. Repairing substantial damages can sometimes cost as much as, if not more than, a full replacement.
- Age: If your windows are old, they may not be as energy efficient as newer models. Homes with old windows will often face higher energy bills due to heat loss during the winter and cooling loss during the summer. Replacement windows will be more energy efficient, potentially saving you money in the long run.
- Persistent Operational Issues: If you find yourself repeatedly needing to repair, clean or lubricate your sliding window because it’s hard to open or close, it may be time to replace it. Recurring problems may be a sign of more significant, underlying issues.
- Security: If the windows have become easy to open from the outside or if the locks are broken, it’s time to replace. New windows come with better security features.
Sometimes, homeowners may also opt to replace their sliding windows for purely aesthetic reasons. Maybe the style is outdated, or perhaps you want to increase your home’s curb appeal for potential resale. Upgraded windows can drastically improve a home’s look and feel.
In any case, it’s always recommended to consult with a professional window contractor who can inspect your windows and provide expert advice on whether you need a repair or replacement.
Find Sliding Window Repair Near You
Whether your sliding windows need repair or replacement, C&L Ward’s experienced team has the expertise to serve you. We offer a range of gliding windows, customizable to suit your home. You’ll have your pick from a number of frame types, hardware options, and glazing choices to maximize your home’s energy efficiency and curb appeal.
As the go-to window company in Michigan, we take pride in our legacy of over 50 years providing high-quality home improvement solutions to over 35,000 satisfied customers.
Contact us today 810-653-3719 to book your in-home consultation with one of our window experts and take advantage of our special Summer offer – buy three windows, get one free! Let us show you why we’re the best choice for sliding window repair and replacement in Michigan.